Deadock Xorg runing strace on a client (from within a client terminal)

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Thu Aug 28 07:50:51 PDT 2008

> After a short while mousing over the GTK menus, the X11 server
> deadlocked and I had to SSH in remotely to kill strace before I could
> continue.
>
> I just wanted to ask:
>
> 1. Is this an expected problem?
> 2. Is it a bug?

If you trace through a server grab you may well end up with the app you
are tracing owning a grab on the server and preventing the other clients
writing. Its an annoying bit of historic X design.

A good workaround for debugging when you might hit a grab is to stick the
app you are debugging in Xnest so it can only grab its server.

Alan