Xorg Now GPL??

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Wed Aug 27 10:08:14 PDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-08-27 at 15:59 +0100, Bill Crawford wrote:
> > Yes, but the people who can't accept it generally aren't the ones contributing, AFAICS.
>
> You might want to look at the list of corporate contributors to the X
> server codebase over the years ...

With my red hat on: Changing the license of the server to some version
of GPL would make some things better and some things worse.  We'd have
more libraries we'd be allowed to consume, so could potentially spend
less time reinventing wheels; on the downside, we could lose a
significant number of external contributors, which is not something the
project can really afford since we're wildly understaffed as it is, and
it would invite even more armchair lawyering.

Given that it would solve no problems we're currently experiencing, and
would introduce new ones, we don't see any point in relicensing.

- ajax