Xorg on fbdev, howto?

Rahul Jain rahul at schmizz.net
Wed Aug 20 08:35:50 PDT 2008

I am trying to configure X server on an ARM based virtual processor.
The binaries that I have are from Xorg 6.8.2 however.
The frame buffer device that I have is a "CLCD: Versatile hardware,
Sanyo QVGA display". Now, this in theory seems to work as a
framebuffer device, since I can see the kernel boot up logo through a
GUI which communicates with it.
Since there was no device /dev/fb* I created one:

mknod /dev/fb0    c 29 0

But it looks like this is not correct, for when I try to start the X
server here is what I get:

/usr/bin/X11/startx: /usr/bin/X11/startx: 130: mcookie: not found
xauth:  creating new authority file //.Xauthority
xauth:  creating new authority file //.Xauthority
xauth: (stdin):1:  bad "add" command line
xauth:  creating new authority file //.Xauthority
xauth:  creating new authority file //.Xauthority
xauth: (stdin):1:  bad "add" command line

_XSERVTransSocketOpenCOTSServer: Unable to open socket for inet6
_XSERVTransOpen: transport open failed for inet6/10.0.2.15:0
_XSERVTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: failed to open listener for inet6

X Window System Version 6.8.2
Release Date: 9 February 2005
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 6.8.2
Build Operating System: MontaVista Linux [ELF] MontaVista Software, Inc.
Current Operating System: Linux 10.0.2.15
2.6.18_pro500-versatile926ejs #144 PREEMPT Wed Aug 20 16:38:21 CEST
2008 armv5tejl
Build Date: 10 March 2007
        Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.X.Org
        (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Thu Jan  1 00:00:00 1970
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
(EE) FBDEV(0): FBIOPAN_DISPLAY: Invalid argument

If someone could please tell me how to get this working, I would be
really grateful. I am really sorry that I am using such an old version
of the Xorg server but this is what I have at the moment.

Thanks
Rahul Jain