problems of building xserver

Seb James seb at esfnet.co.uk
Wed Aug 20 02:17:11 PDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-08-20 at 06:19 +0000, Wayne wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was building xserver by following
> http://www.x.org/wiki/ModularDevelopersGuide
> While building app/bitmap, I got this error...
>
> ./configure: line 4003: syntax error near unexpected token 'BITMAP'
> ./configure: line 4003: 'XAW_CHECK_XPRINT_SUPPORT(BITMAP)'
>
> But, I had built lib/libXaw. I have no idea to fix it...
> Did I miss some steps of building???
>
> Wayne

I came up against this as well myself, a few days ago. The problem is
that libXaw has changed - the developers have removed libXaw.so.8,
leaving only libXaw.so.6 and libXaw.so.7. libXaw.so.8 is the one with
XPrint support in it (I think, this is slightly garbled as I am not an
expert on this) and has been removed as xprint is being deprecated.

I got round it in some kludgy way by leaving an old copy of libXaw.so.8
around, if I recall correctly.

I think (I may be wrong) that the maintainers of app/bitmap and similar
apps need to make some changes to their configure.ac/Makefile.am scripts
to come in line with changes to libXaw.

Cheers,

Seb James