Question about old radeon driver

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Aug 18 15:58:59 PDT 2008

Greetings all;

I asked this 2 or 3 weeks ago and don't recall if the answer was very
promising or not. I think what I got was that there wouldn't be any huge
improvements in the radeon driver for RV280 based cards.

I have a 9200SE card that works at a medium speed, and it is as stable as a
large rock running the radeon driver, auto selected by using the aty setting
in my xorg.conf file.

However, it will not run Google's Sketchup under wine-1.0 as all 'workspace'
in the sketchup screen is apparently random memory in the cards on-board 256
meg workspace buffer.  You can see an example of the problem at

<http://gene.homelinux.net:85/gene/pix/Google-Sketchup-8.png>

This is, as far as I know, the only program that has a problem.

I even bought a X1650 Pro AGP card, thinking that would call in the newer
driver and it would work.  Unforch, with that card on this motherboard, the
box will not even post.  The motherboard claims 8x AGP support, and the card
claims to be an 8x AGP, but they don't speak the same language.  Here is the
odd thing though, this X1650 Pro AGP card does not have a 1.5 volt keyslot in
its edge pattern, and neither does the motherboard, only a 3.3 volt
keyblocker is present, but the only 3 cards in my menagerie that work, all
have the 1.5 volt keyslot in the edge pattern along with the 3.3 volt marker
slot.  Apparently a card without it won't post.

An ugly thought..  Do I have to go into the bios and see if I can raise the
AGP voltage setting to 3.3 volts, (its currently set to 1.5, I checked it
earlier today) probably blowing this 9200SE card all to hell, in order to run
that X1650 Pro?  That does not seem to make sense.

No one I've called has a clue why this X1650 Pro won't even post & the vendor
is being difficult, saying I should have known better so they are going to
charge me a restocking fee of 15%.  FWIW it works perfectly when plugged into
an intel motherboard in a 4 year old IBM box.

Can anyone suggest an r5xx based AGP card that will run in this box?  One that
is still available?

I would very much like to get googles sketchup to run so that I can run up
some drawings on a garage that is about 75% built here at the Old Fart
Ranchette.  The tax man would probably like to see something eventually.

Thanks for any help achieving this.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)