Question - How to X Session on a local computer via remote computer

Linux linux at thehoytfamily.com
Mon Aug 18 04:38:15 PDT 2008

I am working simulation involving multiple computers to execute. Trying
to "control" the simulation from one computer. From the controlling
computer, I would like to start a user x-session without having to
physically log on to that computer. The purpose is to bring up different
graphical displays on all the computers. I can do it as root.

For a two computer example:
Computer Names: cpu1 & cpu2

Main user logged onto cpu1
Simulation is started on cpu1
Process for simulation is started via ssh on cpu2 -
cpu2 process starts a gui to monitor simulation progress on cpu2

If I am root, then I can leave the cpu2 at the terminal (console) login
versus a graphical login (gdm/kdm). I can ssh onto cpu2 and issue a
startx command. The gui (gnome or kde) on cpu2 will start.

But I can't do this with a user account because the user does not own
console when it is at the login prompt.

Granted I can host the display on cpu1 but we are using around 10 to 15
computers and I don't want all their displays going to one machine.
Plus, when you are doing a dog & pony shows, it is a lot easier display
data on multiple screens.

Ideally, I would like a limited user, simuser, that has the ability to
run the simulation with just enough access to execute the simulation and
to copy the output data. The simuser would get authenticated on the main
cpu and then start the process via secure shells (although without a
password) on the other machines. The other machines would bring up their
displays as simuser. Once execution is done, the displays close out and
the machines are back to a login prompt or window. The gui would be
configured such that simuser could not create a terminal. And any
attempt to exit the simulation would just take them back to the login
prompt. Also when the simuser is not using the computers, they must be
available for normal use.