Questions about the XDGA extension

Ori Bernstein ori at eigenstate.org
Sun Aug 17 15:35:03 PDT 2008

On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 21:15:50 +0200
Sebastian Gerhardt <sebgerhardt at gmx.net> wrote:

> I think this can't be achieved with a normal/composite WM,

I believe it should be doable with a recent X server and a normal compositing WM. The XShape extension -- on recent servers -- can clip input regions only, letting events be delivered to the underlying windows below.

A sample program is attached. If your X is recent enough, it should give you a fully opaque window with a 100x100 square in the middle that's transparent to events.

For briefness, I don't do any error checking.

--
    Ori Bernstein