Warning: evdev changes - no auto-grabs anymore

Michel Dänzer michel at tungstengraphics.com
Thu Aug 14 07:54:05 PDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-08-14 at 14:13 +0930, Peter Hutterer wrote:
> Just a warning to all evdev users. I just pushed a fix to disable device grabs
> by default to evdev git (not X active/passive grabs, EVIOCGRAB ones).
>
> Why?
> If you grab a device, you will stop it from sending events to /dev/input/mice,
> /dev/kbd, but breaks other (virtual) devices such as the Macintosh mouse
> button emulation and rfkill.

Sounds good, but unfortunately, this change seems to cause trouble of
its own, namely that hitting ctrl-C terminates the X server - not very
useful. :) It looks like all the input intended for the X server also
goes to a VT (I can briefly see fragments of what I typed before hitting
ctrl-C until the server restarts), and that's probably how the ctrl-C
results in a SIGTERM to the X server.