XInput 2: the big picture, relationship to toolkits

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Thu Aug 14 06:18:24 PDT 2008

On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 02:59:46PM +0300, Daniel Stone wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 11:00:42AM +0930, Peter Hutterer wrote:
> > Either way, it removes the need for tracking the XEventClass in the
> > client, making things much saner and closer to core protocol event tracking
> > from a toolkit/app perspective.
>
> Oh yeah, and while I'm here, did anyone ever find a use for multiple
> device classes? I haven't yet seen one; just seems like ridiculous
> overengineering that makes our API more complicated than South Ossetia.

Assuming you're referring to having two device classes of the same type?

The only thing I can think of here is having two axis classes, one of which is
absolute, one being relative. But then again, I don't think the server
supports it, and even on  protocol level it wouldn't work.
You can't tell which class an event would be coming from, so you'd lose all
the benefits.

Cheers,
  Peter