Several patches for the siliconmotion driver

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 15:40:42 PDT 2008

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 6:09 PM, Paulo Cesar Pereira de Andrade
<pcpa at mandriva.com.br> wrote:
> Alex Deucher wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 3:12 PM, Paulo Cesar Pereira de Andrade
>> <pcpa at mandriva.com.br> wrote:
>>>
>>> currojerez at gmail.com wrote:
>>>
>>>  Hi,
>>>
>>>  Do you have any smi contact?
>>>

>> I had some smi contacts in the past.
>>
>>>  (I don't have contacts, just did some help for an OEM...)
>>>
>>>  I have a copy of code from siliconmotion for driver versions 2.2.1 and
>>> 2.2.5
>>> (xorg version is tagged 1.6.0), and I believe it should be merged/added
>>> to Xorg
>>> source tree.
>>
>> Their tree split from xorg/xf86 quite a while back IIRC.  Lots of
>> stuff was changed and added to the xorg version (dualhead, exa) since
>> then.  Their versions and the xorg versions don't have much
>> significance anymore.  I also broke out the sm501 code into a separate
>> driver ages ago:
>> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/xf86-video-smi501/
>
>  Thanks Alex,
>
>  I made some tests, using your driver, and xorg driver, but neither
> did work. After that, I borrowed some changes changes from the
> siliconmotion 2.2.5 sources to your smi501 sources (as this is the
> hardware I can test), and almost got it to work (added 1024x600 mode
> support, but I think it is required to add some extra PLL programming)
> to get it right; at least with these minor changes it doesn't stay in
> a black window anymore...
>
>  Anyway, I think it should be merged to a common source, probably
> by siliconmotion engineers, or at least someone that has knowledge
> and access to all the hardware variants.

Last time I asked SMI didn't seem to interested in maintaining the
upstream driver.  You best bet is probably the sm501 fb driver in the
linux kernel.  IIRC, it's pretty much feature complete and works on
both PCI and localbus variants.

Alex