HAL vs. xorg.conf

Tomas Carnecky tom at dbservice.com
Sun Aug 3 14:13:46 PDT 2008

Simon Thum wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> my dev Xorg instance used to have a de keyboard layout, until I recently
> upgraded the systems HAL and its associated info (I`m using gentoo).
> Now, hotplug seems to rule out xorg.conf, see below.
>
> My question: Is that intentional? Is there a way to override without
> disabling hotplug?

Create a fdi file, for example /etc/hal/fdi/policy/20-simon.fdi with the
following contents:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <deviceinfo version="0.2">
      <device>
        <match key="info.capabilities" contains="input.keys">
          <merge key="input.xkb.rules" type="string">base</merge>

          <merge key="input.x11_driver" type="string">evdev</merge>
          <merge key="input.xkb.model" type="string">evdev</merge>
          <merge key="input.xkb.layout" type="string">de</merge>
        </match>
      </device>
    </deviceinfo>

Or google for other fdi examples.