xf86-video-intel 2.5 release planning

Eric Anholt eric at anholt.net
Fri Aug 1 07:23:18 PDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-07-31 at 21:30 +0100, Colin Guthrie wrote:
> Jesse Barnes wrote:
> > Target highlights for this release include:
> >   1) usable EXA support
> >   6) removal of XAA code
>
> For me, even on the 2.4 series, EXA is still unusably slow on my i945
> and compositing. Perhaps I'm missing a setting. It's certainly better
> than before (it used to crash the server!), but I'm still a little
> concerned about removing XAA completely (main issue right now is
> scrolling, but I'll need to read Carl's blog and see what's what!)
>
> If EXA really, really does work and has no (massive) regressions on all
> hardware then great, but is it worth actually *removing* code in this
> release (i.e. will it hold back/delay other features?)
>
> If I was playing the percentages game, I'd say the safer bet would be to
> get EXA good now, and keep the XAA just in case and aim to drop it from
> the 2.6 series.
>
> In mdv packages we still defaulted to XAA for a lot of hardware and even
> if the 2.4, I'm not seeing enough evidence to make me want to change
> that just yet.

EXA is great on my 945-class systems, including "scrolling."  We really
need sysprof output, and if pixmap migration is at the top of your
sysprof output, then the list of what operations are failing to be
accelerated from turning on the fallback debug flags in *_render.c and
exa_priv.h.

--
Eric Anholt
eric at anholt.net                         eric.anholt at intel.com