Enabling VT Switching

Sam Spilsbury smspillaz at gmail.com
Fri Aug 1 06:37:11 PDT 2008

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 6:51 PM, Sam Spilsbury <smspillaz at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've installed that and still can't switch VT's. I'll post any errors
> I find however.
>
> On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 8:38 AM, Daniel Stone <daniel at fooishbar.org> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 08:16:41AM +0800, Sam Spilsbury wrote:
>>> This question probably has a very obvious answer which I may have
>>> missed, but I'll ask it anyway,
>>> considering a search on google didn't help much. My question is that I
>>> am compiling the X Server from
>>> source, and it works, however I can't switch VT's with Ctrl-Alt-F*. Is
>>> there a configure option or a patch I need
>>> to apply to enable this?
>>
>> If you're running git master or even server-1.5-branch, the log file
>> should hint you why (most messages should have 'XKB' in them) -- if you
>> haven't got any XKB data installed, you need to install xkeyboard-config.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Daniel

Hi everyone,

I've got xkeyboard-config installed to /opt/xserver-xir-install,
however I'm still getting the following errors

(EE) XKB: Couldn't compile keymap
(WW) Couldn't load XKB keymap, falling back to pre-XKB keymap

(That's what I got when I did cat
/opt/xserver-xir-install/var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep XKB)

Is it possible that X.org is using a keymap from an older version of X
in /usr/share?

Sam