Pointer grabs causing accessibility issues! Why not deprecate them?

Francesco Fumanti francesco.fumanti at gmx.net
Wed Apr 30 10:25:10 PDT 2008

David Zeuthen wrote:
> Certainly, the grabbing in the PolicyKit authentication dialog is not
> for really for security per se [1], it's simply there to avoid things
> like people entering their password into their IRC client etc. That's
> also why we don't even bother grab properly (if we don't get the grab
> within ten tries we just proceed without grabbing).

Nice to see you participate in this thread.

So the grabbing in the policykit authentication dialog is to prevent
human error and not really for security!? In this case, I wonder whether
the grabbing could not be made optional. (of course on by default)

For example the gksu authentication dialog has a gconf key that, from a
user's perspective, seems to turn the modal dialog into a modeless
dialog. (I don't know what really happens internaly.)

Disabling the pointer grabs in the authentication dialog of policykit
might not be a nice solution, but it would at least make policykit
accessible to user with alternative input methods like an onscreen
keyboard.

Consequently as it can only be seen as a temporary workaround, I hope
that this thread will bear some fruits for a cleaner more general
solution. Maybe Daniel's idea about priorities...

Cheers

Francesco