i915 dual head woes

Richard Lynch ceo at l-i-e.com
Sun Apr 27 18:05:55 PDT 2008

On Sun, April 27, 2008 4:56 am, Jin, Gordon wrote:
> Richard Lynch wrote on Saturday, April 26, 2008 10:32 AM:
>> Gear:
>> Sony VGN TXN 17P laptop
>> HP L1940T external LCD/CRT
>>
>> Back story:
>> http://www.phpbootcamp.com/articles/vgn_txn17p.htm
>> (rather long, I'm afraid...)
>>
>> So I finally managed to get the latest kernel (for gentoo at least)
>> and latest xorg emerged and the i915 driver finally installed...
>>
>> It's WORSE!
>>
>> Before, I had a working setup for just the LFP.
>> And a working setup that would drive the external monitor, but send
>> the LFP into black screen of death hibernation, which NOTHING would
>> wake up.
>>
>> So if I ever wanted to quit Xorg, I'd have to cold-power-off the
>> laptop. :-(
>>
>> Using the same .conf I now get...
>> Nothing.
>> The external monitor is kind enough to inform me via the built-in
>> on-screen-display that something is trying to run it at 640x480 @
>> 67Hz.
>>
>> Other than that, I've got a doorstop.
>>
>> :-(
>>
>> The only "weird" thing that leaps out at me is that both displays
>> try
>> to use pipe B, and neither one seems willing to use pipe B.  Is that
>> normal?...
>>
>> Can anybody who actually understands this stuff look at a .conf and
>> .log and give me some idea what to try next?
>> http://l-i-e.com/xorg/
>
> You should write xorg.conf with ONE device and ONE screen. You can
> refer
> to http://www.intellinuxgraphics.org/dualhead.html and try both the
> dynamic and static setup.

Okay.

The dynamic setup doesn't do anything, since there's only one
device/screen/monitor recognized by xrandr:
lynch at localhost ~ $ xrandr -q
 SZ:    Pixels          Physical       Refresh
*0    800 x 600    ( 383mm x 302mm )  *75
 1    640 x 480    ( 383mm x 302mm )   75
 2    800 x 1200   ( 383mm x 302mm )   75
Current rotation - normal
Current reflection - none
Rotations possible - normal left inverted right
Reflections possible - none
lynch at localhost ~ $

I had higher sizes with different settings in xorg.conf, but nothing
is making this other monitor show up...

The static setup also does nothing useful so far...

Log and conf files with intellinuxgraphics in their names here:
http://l-i-e.com/xorg/

I really hate booting into windows to get decent screen real estate at
my home desk :-(

--
Can you do me a favor?
Sign up for http://Facebook.com