Pointer grabs causing accessibility issues! Why not deprecate them?

Francesco Fumanti francesco.fumanti at gmx.net
Sat Apr 26 09:22:58 PDT 2008

Hello,

For a user, that can only rely on the pointer to do his input, pointer
grabs seem to be at the root of different problems. Examples of such
users are tabletpc users and disabled users; I will call them
pointer-only users in the rest of the email.

These pointer-only users usually rely on an onscreen keyboard to do
their typing. But if another application grabs the pointer, they will
not be able to enter anything with the onscreen keyboard until that
application releases the pointer grab. A concrete example without
workaround is currently the policykit password dialog.

Instead of asking the different application programmers to provide a way
to give pointer-only users full access, I wondered whether it would not
be better to tackle the problem at the source by not giving them any
pointer grabbing functionality!?

In fact, the purpose of this email is to make the xorg developer aware
of the issue and ask them to consider whether deprecating the pointer
grabbing functionality from the X server would make any sense and be
feasible?

Many thanks in advance.

Francesco