i915 dual head woes

Richard Lynch ceo at l-i-e.com
Fri Apr 25 19:31:53 PDT 2008

Gear:
Sony VGN TXN 17P laptop
HP L1940T external LCD/CRT

Back story:
http://www.phpbootcamp.com/articles/vgn_txn17p.htm
(rather long, I'm afraid...)

So I finally managed to get the latest kernel (for gentoo at least)
and latest xorg emerged and the i915 driver finally installed...

It's WORSE!

Before, I had a working setup for just the LFP.
And a working setup that would drive the external monitor, but send
the LFP into black screen of death hibernation, which NOTHING would
wake up.

So if I ever wanted to quit Xorg, I'd have to cold-power-off the
laptop. :-(

Using the same .conf I now get...
Nothing.
The external monitor is kind enough to inform me via the built-in
on-screen-display that something is trying to run it at 640x480 @
67Hz.

Other than that, I've got a doorstop.

:-(

The only "weird" thing that leaps out at me is that both displays try
to use pipe B, and neither one seems willing to use pipe B.  Is that
normal?...

Can anybody who actually understands this stuff look at a .conf and
.log and give me some idea what to try next?
http://l-i-e.com/xorg/

PS
I get the same thing whether I un-comment the second device section or
not...

--
Can you do me a favor?
Sign up for http://Facebook.com