Official PDF URLs for X Specs

Thu Apr 24 17:35:41 PDT 2008

Markus Kuhn wrote:
> Why are there any formatted "hardcopy" *.PS.gz files in git at all?
> Why is the archaic PS.gz format used and not the *much* more convenient
> and portable PDF?

Because this is the way the X Consortium & Open Group had them in their
releases in the 90's, and no one has taken the time to update them since.

There's long been a consensus in X.Org that we'd like to see the official
specs moved from the mish-mash of current formats (troff, FrameMaker, tex,
etc.) to all being in DocBook format, and then we could easily produce HTML,
PS, PDF, or whatever from them, but no one has come forward to do work on
the docs for us.   (The Foundation could probably pay for a doc conversion
service, including proofing the results to make sure nothing was lost in
the conversion - which should be the most time consuming part, but I don't
know if the board has discussed that option.)

	-Alan Coopersmith-           alan.coopersmith at sun.com