help with X11/keysymdef.h

Markus Kuhn Markus.Kuhn at cl.cam.ac.uk
Thu Apr 24 11:52:44 PDT 2008

nidujay wrote on 2008-04-23 21:55 UTC:
> I'm involved in a localisation project. The project coordinator and I
> have differing views on the definitions in this file. He asserts that
> it has nothing to do with input methods but instead should define the
> characters in the Unicode code page (some characters in the code page
> are not on the keyboard and some keys are a combination of multiple
> Unicode characters). I'm not convinced but he has greater experience
> in these matters.

Further to Samuel's explanations, have you read the official definition
of keysyms in the "X Window System Protocol Standard":

  ftp://ftp.x.org/pub/X11R7.0/doc/PDF/proto.pdf

and there especially Section 5: Keyboards (pp 6-) and Annex A: KEYSYM
Encoding (pp 90-)?

The spec might also help to clarify things.

Markus

--
Markus Kuhn, Computer Laboratory, University of Cambridge
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/ || CB3 0FD, Great Britain