help with X11/keysymdef.h

Samuel Thibault samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org
Wed Apr 23 15:06:57 PDT 2008

nidujay, le Thu 24 Apr 2008 07:55:31 +1000, a écrit :
> Also assuming it is to do with input methods, how should we define
> symbols when a single keypress needs to generate multiple unicode
> characters?

What do you call "symbols"?
When, because of an input method, a keysym is converted into several
unicode characters, it's the input method's matter. Keysyms are just the
input for input methods.

> The reason I'm asking this is because of the following comment in keysymdef.h:
>
>  * Where the correspondence is either not one-to-one or semantically
>  * unclear, the Unicode position and name are enclosed in
>  * parentheses. Such legacy keysyms should be considered deprecated
>  * and are not recommended for use in future keyboard mappings.

That's because keyboard manufacturers have invented keys, unicode has
invented characters, and some are quite the same, but not exactly, so
the unicode position is given as a hint, but since the meaning is not so
clear, these keysyms should not be used.

Samuel