mouse click latency

Dan B. Phung phung at cs.columbia.edu
Wed Apr 23 07:24:46 PDT 2008

I'm timing the latency for an application (a screensaver in this case)
to handle a mouse click.  I take a timestamp in the mouse driver
(appletouch, usb) and another timestamp when the screensaver handles the
event.  For the appletouch driver I get a latency of ~83 ms, and the usb
mouse is ~57 ms, which seems like madness.  Keyboard clicks are ~5.7 ms
which are more on the order of what I expected for the mouse clicks.
What's the expected latency of mouse clicks?

config:
Macbook, running Ubuntu 7.10
Linux kernel 2.6.22.10
Xorg 7.2, Mesa 7.0,