Simple question: How to make X windows appear on remote machine (not X forwarding)

Marius Gedminas mgedmin at b4net.lt
Tue Apr 15 12:39:44 PDT 2008

On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 02:27:02PM -0400, Dustin Spicuzza wrote:
> I have a machine sitting next to me that I ssh into, logged in as user
> Y. On the machine, I have X running, and I'm logged in as the same user
> Y. Is it possible to execute an application over ssh, that makes its
> windows show up on the machine next to me? I tried setting the $DISPLAY
> variable, but no luck so far. Thanks.

Oh?  Setting DISPLAY to :0 in the ssh session ought to do the trick.

Maybe also check the setting of $XAUTHORITY.  If you set both DISPLAY
and XAUTHORITY in the ssh session to the same values they have in a
regular login session, X apps shouldn't see any difference.

> (as to why I want to do this... using a small touchscreen, and trying to
> use GDB on the app while running on the touchscreen. Obviously using GDB
> on the small touchscreen is quite annoying, so trying to find an
> alternative... )

gdb can attach to a running process, so you could also try running the
app locally, and then running gdb via ssh.

Marius Gedminas
--
Westheimer's Discovery:
        A couple of months in the laboratory can