Simple question: How to make X windows appear on remote machine (not X forwarding)

Dustin Spicuzza dustin at virtualroadside.com
Tue Apr 15 11:27:02 PDT 2008

Hey,

I have a machine sitting next to me that I ssh into, logged in as user
Y. On the machine, I have X running, and I'm logged in as the same user
Y. Is it possible to execute an application over ssh, that makes its
windows show up on the machine next to me? I tried setting the $DISPLAY
variable, but no luck so far. Thanks.

(as to why I want to do this... using a small touchscreen, and trying to
use GDB on the app while running on the touchscreen. Obviously using GDB
on the small touchscreen is quite annoying, so trying to find an
alternative... )

Dustin

--
Innovation is just a problem away.