Traversing X11 clients behind NAT (or X11 end-to-end connectivity)

Otto Solares solca at guug.org
Mon Apr 14 12:17:28 PDT 2008

> Think of Teredo as a NAT traversal technology.  Instead of
> implementing NAT traversal in every application, you implement it
> once, at the network layer, and have all applications assume
> end-to-end connectivity.

Sure, the same as every other tunneling methods, just that Teredo is
actually a pretty bad choice for X11 traffic (or any traffic that is
latency or bandwidth sensitive) as it needs relays probably located
in the other side of the world not counting overhead caused by IPv6.

The OP suggests a method similar to STUN or Teredo mechanisms, my point
is that IPv6 can be used for NAT-traversal but probably is the poorest
choice, if one controls both ends I personally like simple and highly
efficient OpenVPN tunnels.

Now, all you IPv6 solve-all proponents should read:

http://cr.yp.to/djbdns/ipv6mess.html

-otto