XORG_RELEASE and XORG_VERSION_CURRENT

Vinay Reddy vinayvinay at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 12:06:24 PDT 2008

Until xorg 7.2, all release versions of xorg-server have XORG_RELEASE
set to the release string and XORG_VERSION_CURRENT to a numeric
version of the release (starting with 7*10^7 + ...). But somewhere
after 7.2 but before the 7.3 release, this version number seems to
have become the xorg-server version (1*10^7 + ...) as configure gets
the number from the server package name) and XORG_RELEASE is no longer
set. Is this intended behavior? I am trying to maintain backwards
compatibility for the driver I maintain (xf86-video-vmware) and am
using XORG_VERSION_CURRENT. If this is not the right way to maintain
compatibility, I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,
Vinay