Getting widescreen resolution on my widescreen LCD tv

Arthur Pemberton pemboa at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 08:41:48 PDT 2008

On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 10:13 AM, Felix Miata <mrmazda at ij.net> wrote:
> On 2008/04/14 00:47 (GMT-0500) Arthur Pemberton apparently typed:
>

>  > I have a Maxtent  26" HD-Ready LCD TV which is 16:9 and rated for up
>
>  Did this TV come with a VGA cable, separate or integral? If not, does
>  your cable have any pins missing on either end? If it does not have 15 on
>  both ends, try one that does.

It comes with both DVI and VGA ports (among other) cables were
purchased separately.
I checked, both ends of the cable has 15 pins

>  > to 1280x1024 despite my best efforts I have been unable to get a
>
>  1280x1024 is nonsense on a 16:9 display.
>

>  > working widescreen res with Xorg (updated) on Centos5
>
>  > The machine in question is an Optiplex GX270
>
>  That chipset is 865G. I installed a generic no-name 19" 16:9 (1440x900)
>  display on an Optiplex GX150, which has a much older 815 chipset, and it
>  works in the native mode under DozXP. That means there's no reason yours
>  can't ultimately run 1366x768 as long as the magic incantations for xorg.conf
>  can be found. Since last summer's xorg drivers overhaul began, this has often
>  been difficult, but usually not impossible.

Cool, but I have no idea how else I can approach this methods. I have
i810, nv and the nvidia drivers as available options.

>  > So I bought an AGP GeForce FX 5200
>
>  That should have been unnecessary. The fact that you haven't gotten it to
>  work right either means you may have a hardware deficiency in either the
>  cable or the TV.

I am guessing it's with the TV... I believe the TV simply doesn't
report properly but is in fact capable of what it says (in the manual)

>  > What I am aiming for is 1366 x 768 at 60Hz
>
>  That is probably the native mode, the only mode to consider trying.

I was focusing on 1280x1024 and eventually got it using simply
system-config-display. Then I realized I actually wanted 1366x768 I
may have given up on that a bit too early.

>  You have been studying /var/log/Xorg.0.log for clues after each xorg.conf
>  change, right? What (EE) and (WW) lines do you see in there?

The first problems were based around the face that Xorg could not
determine the appropriate modes, and so was rejecting the modes that I
put in place. the EE messages reflected that.

Further attempts were due to the fact that what ever mode was being
translated to the TV, the tv reported "unsupported mode" ... no useful
EE messages, I will go back in and check again for WW with 1366x768 at 60
with the nv driver.

( www.pembo13.com )