Current tinderbox regression (radeonhd)

Matthias Hopf mhopf at suse.de
Mon Apr 14 03:46:50 PDT 2008

On Apr 11, 08 15:59:21 +0300, Daniel Stone wrote:
> commit a7e3ad1c6b455bda7c4abb352a20845d1d4574a0
> Author: Eric Anholt <eric at anholt.net>
> Date:   Thu Apr 10 10:33:11 2008 -0700
>
>     Remove NDEBUG (assert() disable) define from the X Server.
>
>     A few pieces of code were abusing this define for other purposes, which are
>     converted to #ifndef DEBUG instead.  There should be no ABI consequences
>     to this change.

Ah, thanks, Daniel. This explains the definition in xorg-server.h...

>     internal header, we probably shouldn't have unnecessary assert()s in
>     critical server paths anyway, and if we do we could #define NDEBUG in the
>     specific cases needed.

I sort-of disagree. Yes, the system-wide assert() is a bad idea, because
it leaves the video in an unusable state. That said, I'm quite a friend
of asserts, they have saved me hours of debugging strange behavior.

Matthias

--
Matthias Hopf <mhopf at suse.de>      __        __   __
Maxfeldstr. 5 / 90409 Nuernberg   (_   | |  (_   |__          mat at mshopf.de