xmodmap deprecated?

Mildred ml.mildred593 at online.fr
Sun Apr 13 14:58:48 PDT 2008

Le Sun 13/04/2008 à 23:23 Juliusz Chroboczek à écrit:

> In principle, Xkb is supposed to take over.  In practice, there are
> only three people in the known universe who understand Xkb, and nobody
> is quite sure who they are.

Hi,

I managed to translate my personal xmodmap to xkbmaps. Unfortunately
there is no easy way to install xkbmaps except by doing

	xkbcomp xkbmap.xkb $DISPLAY

And major desktop environment (I'm thinking of GNOME) don't provide
hooks for personal xkbmaps (as they do for xmodmaps). So every time I
log in I have to execute a little script that compiles the xkbmap for
me.

I wrote some documentation about it (and others improved it further)
but unfortunately it's in French. But here are the links anyways (you
might find the code example useful):

[fr] http://linuxfr.org/~mildred/22731.html
[fr] http://wiki.mandriva.com/fr/Personnaliser_le_clavier#Les_fichiers_de_configuration_du_clavier_et_le_syst.C3.A8me_XKb
[en] http://pastebin.org/29545 (my personal map)

If you want, I might be able to translate it to English.

Also, there may be other documentation in English (those I used to
understand xkb for the first time). I think it's mainly here:

[en] http://www.charvolant.org/~doug/xkb/html/index.html

If you want, I might be able to translate (but I cannot guarantee you
when as I don't really have time)

last thing, I strongly suggest you to move to XKB. I found that it
causes less problems (example, modify Ctrl or Alt keys with xmodmap
break CTRL-ALT-Fn sequences, it doesn't using xkb). And XKB is much
more powerful.

Mildred

--
Mildred Ki'lya
E-Mail:	mildred593(at)online.fr

Site:	<http://mildred632.free.fr/>
XMPP:	<mildred at jabber.fr> (GoogleTalk, Jabber)

GPG:	197C A7E6 645B 4299 6D37 684B 6F9D A8D6 [9A7D 2E2B]