Simulating a graphics tablet?

Magnus Vigerlöf Magnus.Vigerlof at home.se
Thu Apr 10 11:42:57 PDT 2008

On torsdag 10 april 2008, Dan Kegel wrote:
> I'm looking into how to write an automated test case for
> the graphics tablet handling in an application (Wine).
> To do this, I would need a robotic arm to move a stylus
> around on a real graphics tablet --- or a simulated graphics
> tablet with an API for simulating moving the stylus around.
>
> It would be nice to be able to control what the simulated
> driver reported back (e.g. number of axes, etc.) to X.
>
> Offhand, I think doing this conveniently is difficult; the
> closest thing to it would be to have the test app write its
> own little xorg.conf and spawn a (nonprivileged) Xvfb that
> reads an xorg.conf and loads the simulated graphics tablet
> driver.  I suppose Xvfb doesn't read config files, so
> this would be something new.
>
> How far off track am I?  Is there an easier way?

Take a look at a tool I've made as a part of my current solution to hotplug my
Wacom tablet [1]. There's a program included that can record data directly
from the eventX kernel device (if the kernel module is used you can do this
at the same time as you see what you do) and later play this back through the
same device with the right pacing.

Could this help you in your quest?

Cheers
  Magnus