2048 size limit on virtual displays

Marius Gedminas mgedmin at b4net.lt
Wed Apr 9 17:48:46 PDT 2008

On Wed, Apr 09, 2008 at 02:31:00PM -0700, Eric Anholt wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-04-09 at 15:48 -0500, Dan Naughton wrote:
> > Is the 2048 size limit on virtual displays something that will one day
> > increase?  I have two monitors driven off the intel 945 chip.  It
> > works great, but i can't put the display at any greater resolution
> > that 1024 each (else I go over the limit, and loose the dual
> > independent displays).
>
> It increased almost two years ago with the 965.

Although even on the 965 the texture size appears to be limited to
2048x2048, which won't allow you to fully enjoy Compiz on your large
side-by-side dualhead screen.

At least that's the case on my Thinkpad T61.

Marius Gedminas
--
When we say we want readable code, we don't mean we want to sit in a
comfortable chair and page through a Java-saga.