Update to build.sh

Ross Burton ross at burtonini.com
Sun Apr 6 10:33:38 PDT 2008

On Sun, 2008-04-06 at 12:48 -0400, Alex Deucher wrote:
> >  > Does xorg use automake?  With automake-generated Makefiles (and some
> >  > non-automake generated Makefiles of course), the next make run should
> >  > re-generate/re-run the configure script if necessary, so it's generally
> >  > "ok" to use a slightly out-of-date configure.
> >
> >  It does, but note that this behaviour is only triggered if you pass
> >  --enable-maintainer-mode.
>
> BTW, what's the preferred method to properly regenerate things when
> using maintainer mode?  I've yet to find a good answer.

Just run make, the makefile will notice that some of the files are out
of date and re-generate them for you

Personally, I'm in the "remove AM_MAINTAINER_MODE" camp.  The default
behaviour (contrary to a commonly held belief) is to always rebuild when
required, AM_MAINTAINER_MODE disables this and makes you specify
--enable-maintainer-mode to get the rebuild rules.

The automake documentation lists some good arguments towards removing
AM_MAINTAINER_MODE:

http://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/html_node/maintainer_002dmode.html#maintainer_002dmode

Ross
Ross Burton                                 mail: ross at burtonini.com