AMD/ATI PowerPlay-Support in radeon(ati) or radeonHD?

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 06:31:23 PDT 2008

On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 7:19 AM, Johannes Truschnigg
<johannes.truschnigg at gmx.at> wrote:
> Hello List,
>
>  I'm evaluating what video board to buy next (if not going for Intel IGP
>  again), and in the process of researching products I might be buying, I've
>  come across ATI PowerPlay (
>  http://ati.amd.com/products/powerplay/index.html - boils down to drastically
>  lowering power consumption when the GPU isn't utilized that much). Sounds
>  like a very nice feature to have... the question now is: how's it supported
>  on my platform (GNU/Linux) with free software drivers only?
>
>  Is it already supported, are there plans to support it, doesn't this need to
>  be supported by the driver-side at all, or won't we ever see PowerPlay with
>  free drivers at all?
>
>  Thanks in advance for letting me know! :)

We have plans to support it in the free drivers, we just haven't
gotten around to it yet.   There are several aspects to powerplay,
some are driver controlled others are hw controlled.  Some of the hw
controls can already be implemented based on the documentation we've
released, it's just that no one has done it yet.  The rest will come
eventually.

Alex