xrandr supports different resolutions depending on when screen is plugged in

Reto Bachmann-Gmür reto at gmuer.ch
Tue Apr 1 07:42:53 PDT 2008

Hello

I'm getting started with my Dell M1330 laptop with its Intel i810 card
with an external screen supporting a resolution of 1920x1200. My goal is
to be able to switch monitors without restarting X.

The problem is that if the monitor is not plugged in when X is started,
"xrandr -q" indicates that the VGA monitor only supports 1280x1024 and
"xrandr --output VGA --auto" will set the screen to that resolution.
When the monitor is plugged in when X is started the maximum resolution
is correctly indicated as 1920x1200 and switching from the built-in
screen and resolution to the external one works nicely (using "xrandr
--output VGA --off" and "xrandr --output VGA --auto"). Any
solution/work-around other than "do not (re)start laptop when the
monitor isn't connected"?

Versions I'm using:
- xorg-server 1.3.0.0-r5
- libXrandr 1.2.1