Radeon Driver Default Display Resolution

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 06:10:49 PDT 2008

On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 4:41 AM, Hamish <hamish at travellingkiwi.com> wrote:
> On Monday 31 March 2008 23:36:15 you wrote:
>  > On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 11:07 AM, Hamish <hamish at travellingkiwi.com> wrote:
>
>  [deleted]
>
>  > >
>  > >  On the same vein... I find my X600 to be really really slow.. Painfully
>  > > slow. Could that be due to too a large desktop (2704x1050)? Or am I doing
>  > > something wrong? Is an X600 just a slow card? I thought it should be good
>  > > enought for compiz even... But only if you're prepared for several
>  > > seconds wait whenever focus changes...
>  >
>  > The coordinate limits of the 3D engine are 2560x2560 and the max
>  > texture size is 2048x2048.  Beyond these limits you are left with
>  > basic 2D accel, which doesn't do much for modern desktops.  For now
>  > you'll probably have better luck with XAA if you were using EXA.
>  >

>  That 2560x2560... Is that a hardware or software limit? If I upgraded the card
>  to a 3650 or 3850 would there still be these limits? (I tried EXA for about
>  10 minutes... That was unusable... You could see the window scrolling...
>  Slower than an old XT (I mean PC-XT) with 80x25 green screen).

It's a HW limit.  r6xx chips support 8k surfaces, but there's no 3D support yet.

>  However I also tried a virtual desktop of 2048x1050... And got two display of
>  1024 width. And the X600 was just as slow then as it was with the 2704
>  virtual width. (I verified the 2048 virtual width by attempting to resize the
>  large monitor to 1680x1050, and got the xrandr error that the virtual size
>  was only 2048).

When you say slow what do you mean?  compiz? something else?  I
regularly use large dualhead desktops and performance is fine.

>  I ran up oprofile... But gentoo strips libGL and the only info it gives me at
>  the moment is that any app spends all it's time somewhere in there. Even if
>  it's only a 1024x768 window... (I take it the 3D engine is disabled
>  completely is the screen area is over the limits, rather than on a
>  per-window/GLXContext basis?

what sort of app are you running?  if it's libGL, presumably you are
using some sort of GL desktop or application.

Alex