intel driver not powerfull enough for 1080p video?

Krzysztof Halasa khc at pm.waw.pl
Tue Sep 25 12:56:36 PDT 2007

Hi,

"Alwin Bakkenes" <alwin at bakkenes.nu> writes:

> I simply don't get the performance I need and cannot find errors in my
> XOrg.0.log. When playing a simple mpeg2 based video through DVB-T my image
> is bad, lagging in some areas especially with panning pictures, but my CPU
> (an Intel 6850) is at 10% .

Perhaps you are using 3D overlay and there is no sync to vertical
refresh? You may want to check with xvinfo, something like:
$ xvinfo
X-Video Extension version 2.2
screen #0
  Adaptor #0: "Intel(R) Textured Video"
    number of ports: 16
    port base: 57
    operations supported: PutImage
  Adaptor #1: "Intel(R) Video Overlay"
    number of ports: 1
    port base: 73

Not sure what G33 is and if it contains 2D overlay, but it may be
better.

> Some metrics: using glxgears I get 1776 FPS, is this any good for 3D?

glxgears is not a good benchmark, but yes, it means accelerated.

> As you can see in my Xorg.0.log, the 1080p video modes available are 50Hz
> and 24Hz. Both should be non-interlaced but at 50Hz, I see a lot of
> interlacing in mouse movements for example.

The driver doesn't support interlacing at all (not counting my private
hacks for RGB SDTV), so you just can't get interlaced output from
VGA/DVI/HDMI.

Perhaps your TV does something to it? Or the lack of sync between
3D overlay and vertical refresh.
--
Krzysztof Halasa