945GM and multiscreen

Frédéric MAZUR f.mazur at pga-avionics.com
Thu Sep 20 01:31:15 PDT 2007

Hi,

I have some problems configuring my Xorg Server with 945HM graphic
chipset. I compiled Xorg 7.3 version and I didn't succeed in making
simultaneously CRT Output and TV Output. Only CRT, or Only TV works
independently. I tried some options ,described in the documentation on
the web site  <http://www.intellinuxgraphics.org>
www.intellinuxgraphics.org , like "MonitorLayout" :

(Option "MonitorLayout" "anystr"Allow different monitor configurations.
e.g. "CRT,LFP" will configure a CRT on Pipe A and an LFP on Pipe B.
Regardless of the primary heads' pipe it is always configured as
"<PIPEA>,<PIPEB>". Additionally you can add different configurations
such as "CRT+DFP,LFP" which would put a digital flat panel and a CRT on
pipe A, and a local flat panel on pipe B.For single pipe configurations
you can just specify the monitors typeson Pipe A, such as "CRT+DFP"
which will enable the CRT and DFPon Pipe A.Valid monitors are CRT, LFP,
DFP, TV, CRT2, LFP2, DFP2, TV2 and NONE.NOTE: Some configurations of
monitor types may fail, this depends onthe Video BIOS and system
configuration.Default: Not configured, and will use the current head's
pipe and monitor. )

But when I use this option in my "Device" Section, I have these lines in
XOrg.log :

(II) intel(0): Output configuration:
(II) intel(0): Pipe A is on
(II) intel(0): Display plane A is now enabled and connected to pipe A
(II) intel(0): Pipe B is on
(II) intel(0): Display plane B is now enabled and connected to pipe B
(II) intel(0): Output VGA is connected to pipe A
(II) intel(0): Output LVDS is connected to pipe B
(II) intel(0): Output TV is connected to pipe none
(WW) intel(0): Option "MonitorLayout" is not used.

And whatever the combination which I puts, that does not change anything
: Option "MonitorLayout" "CRT,TV" or "CRT+TV" (or  anything else)
doesn't change anything. And I have always CRT on Pipe A , and LVDS on
Pipe B. Sometimes, when I use others parameters for Monitor
Configuration (TV parameters for example), Pipe A goes automatically on
TV, and if I restore my CRT Monitor parameters for monitor
configuration, Pipe A goes again on CRT. Pipe B never change. I supposed
there is into driver source code a function that determine automatically
which pipe on which output, but I want to fix manually (like
monitorlayout would do it) Pipe A on CRT and Pipe B on TV (Don't need
LVDS).

In order to test the multi screen fonctionnality , I try to remove LVDS
initialisation in intel driver source code. I commented these lines
(i830_driver.c:746) :

if (IS_MOBILE(pI830) && !IS_I830(pI830))
    i830_lvds_init(pScrn);

And now, it works better. Intel driver find only 2 outputs (CRT and TV)
, so It automatically puts CRT on Pipe A and TV on Pipe B and I have my
2 images well on each monitors. But I don't like this solution, and I
will prefer to have the good configuration lines to do that.

Maybe anyone knows the solution ?

Thanks :)

F. MAZUR.