xrandr multihead and window placement

Marius Gedminas mgedmin at b4net.lt
Wed Sep 19 02:19:55 PDT 2007

On Wed, Sep 19, 2007 at 08:58:25AM +0100, martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach Keith Packard <keithp at keithp.com> [2007.09.18.1755 +0100]:
> > Which is odd, because RandR reports geometry information using the
> > Xinerama protocol, so I would expect window managers that
> > supported Xinerama in the past to support the Xinerama
> > implementation inside of RandR as well.
>
> Well, it definitely seems like something's fishy. For instance,
> maximising windows in Fluxbox (which had the best Xinerama support
> of all window managers I tried) now causes the window to extend
> across both screens.

Well, you could narrow it down by looking at Xinerama information and
seeing if it's reported correctly.

If you have Python with Gtk+ bindings installed, you could try this
little script:

#!/usr/bin/python
import gtk.gdk

if __name__ == '__main__':
    screen = gtk.gdk.screen_get_default()
    n = screen.get_n_monitors()
    for i in range(n):
        rect = screen.get_monitor_geometry(i)
        print "Monitor %d: %dx%d at (%d, %d)" % (i, rect.width, rect.height,
                                                 rect.x, rect.y)

Marius Gedminas
--
Bumper sticker: If you can read this, I can hit my brakes and sue you.