[x11] Re: How to OverrideCFLAGS in Modular Builds

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 09:19:42 PDT 2007

On 9/17/07, John Klingler <john at jupiter.com> wrote:

>  Actually, that did not work, either from tcsh using setenv CFLAGS "-g3" or
> from bash using export CFLAGS="-g3". configure picks up the new definition
> of CFLAGS from the environment but make uses the original definition, i.e.
> "-g -O2". This was driving me nuts because ddd/gdb jumps all over the place
> and it is hard to tell which instruction is being executed.

Hmm, it should work like I described. I've built hundreds of packages
in that manner. When you run ./configure (an autoconf generated
configure, anyway), it should prefer CFLAGS from the environment and
propagate them to the generated Makefiles.

>  Whoever is maintaining
>  http://wiki.x.org/wiki/DevelopersPages
>  http://wiki.x.org/wiki/ModularDevelopersGuide
>  might consider adding this kind of thing to make life a little easier for
> people using the modular build process for the first time. I assume the
> modular system was a team effort and the members of the team knew what each
> other were doing but practically none of that knowledge found its way into
> the documentation. Both documents are perfunctory at best.

It's a wiki, so if you find it to be lacking, you can add information
there. That said, it is a little difficult to build up a fully
functioning Xorg installation from scratch. For some clues, you can
see the linuxfromscratch instructions.

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/x/xorg7.html

It's a little behind the times, but it should give some clues. The
only part truly missing there is the external pixman library needed
for Xorg-7.3.

--
Dan