Kernel options for intel driver

Jesse Barnes jbarnes at virtuousgeek.org
Mon Sep 17 16:53:48 PDT 2007

On Thursday, September 13, 2007 3:06:34 pm Chris Pemberton wrote:
> Compiling the latest 2.6.22.6 kernel for my machine:
>
> Intel 945GM graphics:
> Up to date 7.3 xorg released drivers
>
> I know about the obvious kernel parameters:
>
> Device Drivers ->
>     Character devices ->
>        <M> /dev/agpgart
>        <M> Direct Rendering Manager
>        <M> Intel 830M, 845G, .....
>        <M> i915 driver
>
> But I'm a little uncertain about some of these:
>
> Device Drivers ->
>     Graphics support ->
>        <?> Backlight & LCD device support ->
>           <?> Display panel/monitor support
>        <?> Support for frame buffer devices
>        <?> Enable firmware EDID
>        <?> Enable Tile Blitting Support
>        <?> Support for frame buffer devices ->
>             <?> Intel 810/815 support
>              <?> Intel 830M/845G.....
>              <?> Intel driver debug messages
>              <?> DDC/I2C for Intel framebuffer support
>
> Frame buffer requires the following:
>
> Device Drivers ->
>     <M> I2C device interface
>     I2C Algorithms ->
>        <M> I2C bit-banging interface

I'd recommend against using the Intel framebuffer driver (in fact we've talked
a bit about removing it--it can be harmful in many configurations).  So you
can disable "Support for frame buffer devices" if you want.

You will, however, need /dev/agpgard, DRI, and i915 DRM support if you want
accelerated 3d and other features.  It looks like you have those options
correctly enabled already (though you could disable 830M, 845G, etc. support
if you wanted).

Jesse