About Xalloc()/Xfree() function used in liblbxutil library.

Bernardo Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Sat Sep 15 21:15:34 PDT 2007

Tadashi Koike wrote:

> But I think when "Library and server implementations are separate"
> (reference: lib/liblbxutil/README), that dependence should be
> got rid of.

You could replace Xalloc() with malloc() and Xfree() with free().

The only functional difference is that Xalloc() aborts on failure,
while malloc() is _documented_ to return a NULL pointer on failure
(but on Linux, I guess the OOM will kick in first ;-)

I'd be in favor of killing these ugly leftovers from an ancient
age when OSes really sucked.

A less drastic approach would be to convert all code to use
xmalloc() and xcalloc() macro wrappers, which are a more common
idiom these days.

If the other X developers agree, I'd be glad to post a patch to
do this.

--
   //  Bernardo Innocenti - http://www.codewiz.org/
 \X/ One Laptop Per Child - http://www.laptop.org/