About Xalloc()/Xfree() function used in liblbxutil library.

Tadashi Koike t-koike at pop01.odn.ne.jp
Fri Sep 14 09:35:31 PDT 2007

Hello everyone,

(I am weak in English, so please forgive the error of the English sentence)

I have a question about Xalloc() function used in liblbxutil library.

I am using Fedora 7 to build Xorg 7.3 tree.

On lib/liblbxutil/src/libx_zlib/lbx_zlib.c file, the Xalloc() is
used by ZlibInit() function, and Xfree() is used by ZlibFree().

Compiling liblbxutil library finished fine. but when I researched
<INST_DIR>/lib/liblbxutil.a , I could not find symbols of
Xalloc()/Xfree() functions in that library.

I tryed below:

  # cd <INST_DIR>/lib
  # nm liblbxutil.a | egrep 'X(alloc|free)'
      U Xalloc
      U Xfree
      U Xalloc
      U Xfree
      U Xalloc
      U Xfree
  #

I found that these functions are declared in "lbx_zlib.h" with
extern declaration.

... Maybe I think that these functions are on libXdmcp.(a,so).

>From the first, XFIXES Extention is related with xserver, so
there is no problem on compiling xserver (it requires libXdmcp),
I guess.

But I think when "Library and server implementations are separate"
(reference: lib/liblbxutil/README), that dependence should be
got rid of.

Other libraries use Xmalloc()/Xfree() that is defined in Xlibint.h .
I think that lbx_zlib.c should use the same function as other
libraries.

---
Sorry I began to studying X Window System recently, so please
give me some lectures/ideas about that.

Sincerely yours,

 - Tadashi Koike, Japan