News ATI drivers

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Fri Sep 14 01:36:45 PDT 2007

On Thu, Sep 13, 2007 at 11:58:21PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> You read me wrong David.  This isn't my first dog and pony show with ATI in
> the center ring, with them taking the 5th in response to any questions.  I
> think the authors did in fact do a great job considering what they did was
> all based first on a WAG, the S optional.
>
> I can't recall that I've ever actually seen "buggy" performance or a crash
> from the radeon driver unless you want to blame the severe pixelization and 2
> second freezes while trying to run google earth on it.  I thought then, and
> still do, that they did a great job considering the raw material they had.
>
> The card is laying on the other table ATM, and will eventually find its way
> back into the box, and I may at some point put it in a winblows box that
> needs one.

Hi,
Your card (r280) is one for which we've always had the full specs and
programming guide, so if our driver isn't performant, you can't really
blame ATI (nor can you if you have deeper performance problems with your
system, which seems to be the case here).

Either way, it's been quite some time since I saw a good point in this
thread.

Cheers,
Daniel