DPI monitor issue question ?

Nolan Check nolancheck at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 12 15:18:20 PDT 2007

Jerone Young wrote:

> Below I have th output of xrandr --prop. One thing that caught my eye
> is that is say my LCD has a maximum of 1440x1440. But this is not so
> as it can only go up to 1400x900.
>
> I plan to file a bug to get a qurik into xserver, but I wanted to make
> sure to file it correctly...seeing this 1440x1440 thing makes me think
> there is a different problem. Maybe with the detection code or the LCD
> monitor.

When I boot Ubuntu 7.04 from a Live CD, it can't enter the graphical
environment. I believe the Ubuntu Live CD tries to use the highest possible
screen resolution. My ViewSonic VG2230wm goes up to 1680x1050, but X.Org
detects two false resolutions. To make X.Org work, I have to
vim /etc/X11/xorg.conf and remove anything that says "1600x1200"
or "1440x1440". Then I startx, and it works.

My graphics card is an ATI Radeon X1900 XT, so X.Org is using VESA. How can
I get the raw resolution information from my monitor? When I
try "xrandr --prop" it just prints the command line help.

I think this problem may apply to many people who use the VESA driver with
widescreen flat-panel monitors. Perhaps it makes some incorrect assumption
about the aspect ratio.