TWM: truetype support

Jens Stroebel dr-xorg at bcsoft.de
Wed Sep 12 06:09:36 PDT 2007

Eeri Kask wrote:

> Here is probably the right place to ask all twm users what do you think
> about freetype font support in twm window manager in order to give it a
> contemporary look?  :-)

This is probably a nice idea; however, could you please, please make
this optional (keep the ability to build twm w.o. freetype font support
alive)?

TWM is not a WM which gets used by a broad userbase and I don't think
that will change, whatever the look of the fonts is like. It's very
simplistic and not exactly suited for todays world of
WM-has-to-integrate-with-desktop; correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't
think these wmhints thingies are all present there...?

It is, however, the WM which is present on a host which has a basic
installation of xorg. It allows to test minimum requirements (does X
start, does keyboard work.. etc.) without too many things interfering.

I know, this may not exactly be what you wanted to hear, but you were
asking about what we're thinking.. this is what came to mind the moment
I read your mail.

			greets,
			  jens
dr-xorg at bcsoft.de
		23.....56.......drifting
By caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, By the beans of Java
do thoughts acquire speed,  hands acquire shaking,  the shaking
becomes a warning, By caffeine alone do I set my mind in motion