News ATI drivers

John Doe glisse at freedesktop.org
Wed Sep 12 01:48:05 PDT 2007

On Sep 12, 2007, at 1:09 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:

> On Wed, 2007-09-12 at 00:49 +0200, Luc Verhaegen wrote:
>
>> Anyway, we know that this is taking long, but we want to be somewhere
>> when we push out our code as we will be swamped in userreports for
>> a few
>> weeks as soon as we do send this out. Given the nature of the
>> hardware
>> (you won't believe all the fiddly bits that need to be set up), and
>> the fact that we currently know 96 pci-ids (not counting the r6xx
>> firegls yet) there is a lot of pain to come.
>>
>> It certainly is not going to be finished or shiny or whatever, but we
>> don't want to put us, or anyone else (like the users testing this new
>> code) through more trouble than needs be.
>
> Thanks for the update, very useful.
>
> If it's PCI IDs you want, I'm your man - I have 291 IDs for
> Radeon-generation cards overall, and 97 for r500 and r600
> series...fairly close to the complete collection, I think.
>
> I think it's going to be a bit late for Mandriva 2008,
> unfortunately (we
> hit code freeze this weekend), but never mind, I'll start playing with
> it as soon as code's available...
>
> the only question I haven't seen a final answer to yet, I think -
> what's
> going to happen with the existing avivo driver now? It's just dropped,
> merged into the new project...?
> --
> adamw

Avivo will be dropped but will remain available as an example driver
as it's pretty clean and don't do much advanced X stuff. And i and
Daniel
will end up working on this new driver. But what people must understand
is that all this will take time to settle down and to look good :)

Cheers,
Jerome Glisse