Keyboard doesn't work if X was started as user

Dâniel Fraga fragabr at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 10:57:23 PDT 2007

On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 22:25:37 +0200
Tassilo Horn <tassilo at member.fsf.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> today I upgraded to Xorg 7.3 and now my keyboard doesn't work anymore if
> I started X as normal user.  It seems that no keyboard input is accepted

	I have problems too with keyboard using the new Xorg 7.3. I
think it's related to the new hotplug input code, and the keyboard code
has some annoying bugs.

	With 7.2 release, everything works perfectly. With 7.3
release, with the exact *same* configuration the keyboard sometimes
work and sometimes doesn't.

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier     "Keyboard1"
    Driver         "kbd"
    Option         "AutoRepeat" "500 30"
    Option         "XkbModel" "abnt2"
    Option         "XkbLayout" "br"
EndSection

	The problem is that "shift" won't work for instance.

	I'm afraid it's related to the new hotplug input code.

	Here are the relevant lines of the X log:

X.Org X Server 1.4.0
Release Date: 5 September 2007
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.22 x86_64
Current Operating System: Linux tux 2.6.22 #1 SMP PREEMPT Sun Jul 8
22:20:11 BRST 2007 x86_64
Build Date: 07 September 2007  10:09:57PM

(==) ServerLayout "Simple Layout"
(**) |-->Screen "Screen0" (0)
(**) |   |-->Monitor "Monitor0"
(**) |   |-->Device "Videocard0"
(**) |-->Input Device "Mouse1"
(**) |-->Input Device "Keyboard1"
(**) Option "BlankTime" "3"
(**) Option "StandbyTime" "6"
(**) Option "SuspendTime" "8"
(**) Option "OffTime" "10"
(**) Option "Xinerama" "0"
(==) Automatically adding devices
(==) Automatically enabling devices

(II) Loader magic: 0x7aa1c0
(II) Module ABI versions:
        X.Org ANSI C Emulation: 0.3
        X.Org Video Driver: 2.0
        X.Org XInput driver : 2.0
        X.Org Server Extension : 0.3
        X.Org Font Renderer : 0.5

(II) LoadModule: "kbd"
(II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib64/xorg/modules/input//kbd_drv.so
(II) Module kbd: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
        Module class: X.Org XInput Driver
        ABI class: X.Org XInput driver, version 2.0

(WW) Couldn't load XKB keymap, falling back to pre-XKB keymap

(**) Option "CoreKeyboard"
(**) Keyboard1: always reports core events
(**) Option "Protocol" "standard"
(**) Keyboard1: Protocol: standard
(**) Option "AutoRepeat" "500 30"
(**) Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
(**) Keyboard1: XkbRules: "xorg"
(**) Option "XkbModel" "abnt2"
(**) Keyboard1: XkbModel: "abnt2"
(**) Option "XkbLayout" "br"
(**) Keyboard1: XkbLayout: "br"
(**) Option "CustomKeycodes" "off"
(**) Keyboard1: CustomKeycodes disabled
(II) evaluating device (Keyboard1)
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Keyboard1" (type: KEYBOARD)

--
Linux 2.6.22: Holy Dancing Manatees, Batman!
http://www.lastfm.pt/user/danielfraga