News ATI drivers

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Wed Sep 5 19:43:12 PDT 2007

On Wednesday 05 September 2007, Xavier Bestel wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>as everyone has probably seen already, AMD just publicly promised specs
>and a reference driver for all cards starting with R500. Great.
>Now, for people in the know, is that just a(nother) promise yet, or are
>there already Xorg people involved in this new driver ?

They do this (wait, cue the trumpets for the std fanfare) about every two
years, and so far as I know, not one single line of code has been thrown over
the fence.  I've wasted well over $500 down through the years, money spent
because they promised this or that.

All it was in the boardroom was a minor uptick in sales, with no connection
between the uptick and the propaganda machines output ever being grokked by
anybody at ATI.

Don't even think of holding your breath, you'll be long dead and buried &
still no open src ATI drivers, for any of their cards.