AIX support

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Sun Sep 2 14:36:59 PDT 2007

On Sun, Sep 02, 2007 at 08:38:02PM +0200, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 02, 2007 at 08:46:41PM +0300, Daniel Stone wrote:
> > On Sun, Sep 02, 2007 at 07:42:27PM +0200, Matthieu Herrb wrote:
> > > Normally pkg-config should take care of the extra libX11 dependencies.
> > > configure should have set "XKILL_LIBS= -lXmuu -lX11 -lXau -lXdmcp" if
> > > pkg-config had done its job.
> >
> > Only when doing static linking.  The problem is that AIX has a dynamic
> > linker, but it's incredibly half-arsed, and doesn't do recursive
> > linking.  I guess you could hack pkg-config to provide all the recursive
> > libs on AIX, which could actually be useful.
>
> After more digging in the ld documentation of AIX, I'm more and more
> inclined to believe this is libtool fallout. I'll keep you informed on
> how it turns out. Yeah, libtool hacking...

Well, basically, either:
  a) you statically link everything, and pkg-config will DTRT, or
  b) you list everything that you link each shared library with in
     pkg-config's Requires.private/Libs.private/etc, and make pkg-config
     spit out that when dynamically linking as well as statically, or
  c) you install *.la files and always use libtool to compile.

This is assuming you've already considered using a system with an actual
dynamic linker; given that you want new X, you could probably do to
update some other things.

Cheers,
Daniel