libpciaccess / X configuration

David Nusinow dnusinow at speakeasy.net
Wed Oct 31 20:16:08 PDT 2007

On Wed, Oct 31, 2007 at 11:46:20AM +0100, Stefan Dirsch wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am currently wondering which kind of changes are to expect with
> regard to X configuration with X.Org now switching to the use of
> libpciaccess.
>
> Questions which come currently to my mind:
> - Does this mean that the Device section will be obsoleted/ignored
>   then?
> - Will it be optional to overwrite the defaults?
> - How can the driver and required options configured then? Hardcoded
>   or by some different config file somewhere below /etc/X11?
>
> Any hints or pointers to existing documentation would be appreciated.

My plan is to have any existing device section override defaults, but that
you won't need the device section at all under most circumstances. There
should be sane defaults that use whatever we can automatically detect on
your machine at runtime. When you do need a device section then you should
be able to only put in what you need. As far as I know, I'm the only one
actively working on this part of the code right now, but take it as you
will.

 - David Nusinow