naming of xf86-{video,input}-foo

Luc Verhaegen libv at skynet.be
Wed Oct 31 06:12:41 PDT 2007

On Wed, Oct 31, 2007 at 01:54:19PM +0100, Hanno B??ck wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just had a discussion with a user who commented on xf86-input-evdev that he
> doesn't like to install something with xf86 in the name, as this sounds like
> it belongs to xfree86.
>
> I thought a while about it. I couldn't find a good reason why all x-drivers
> are named that way. Maybe someone else can tell me?
>
> Maybe it'd be a good idea to change that? xorg-video-foo, xorg-input-bar?

Well,

If it wasn't for my whining, it would've been called it xaa-foo. With
kdriver based drivers being called kaa-foo. This was before EXA, when
everybody was still trying hard to kill off the old xf86 style drivers.

The choice isn't that bad, if you can look beyond politics and the
xfree86 versus xorg flamewar. Most of the DDX symbols are prepended by
xf86, this is just a continuation of that.

Luc Verhaegen.
SUSE/Novell X Driver Developer.